Hunter’s Road in Vepery, formerly called Hunter’s
Street, was renamed in recent times as Sree Narayana
Guru Road after the leading social reformer of Kerala.
Mr. John Hunter, after whom the road is named, arrived
as a free merchant in Madras in 1787. Later he became
the first cashier of the Carnatic Bank in 1788 on the
recommendations of Charles Oakeley and became the
secretary and later one of the directors of the British
Bank. In 1803 he became the head to Hunter and Harry, a
leading business firm in Fort St. George.