By the busy Mount Road is situated the impressive
building of the Christ Church and Christ Church Schools
with a long history of about a century and a half. Rev.
Henry Taylor, Chaplain in the Service of East India
Company, realizing the sad plight of the poor people in
and around the Mount Road area, opened a large room for
public worship in July 1842, which of course, marked the
humble beginning of the Christ Church and the Schools.
The newly acquired plot was then given to the Bishop for
use by what was then the Mount Road Chapel. Arch Deacon
Harper established two schools in the chapel compound in
1843 and these schools were then known as the Mount Road
Male and Female Schools, which were reorganized and
later named Christ Church Schools.
Anna Salai (near Cosmopolitan Club)Chennai - 600 002.
Tel : 28583203.