Chicken curry is a very versatile accompaniment to rice, chapathi, dosa, idli, and even Sambar rice or lemon rice. It is so versatile that we would love to have it for anything and everything. And when it comes to chicken, we cannot restrict at all. We want more, more and more of it. The two most common recipes prepared using Chicken are curries and briyani. Here is an excellent Chicken curry recipe that will treat you with all the spices you want. It is the Chettinaud Spicy Chicken Curry.
Check out the ingredients below
· Chicken 1 kg
· Oil 4 tsp
· Cloves 3 to 4
· Cinnamon 3 sticks (medium sized)
· Cardamom 3 pods
· Fennel seeds 1 tsp
· Pepper 1 tbsp
· Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
· Cumin seeds 1 tsp
· Curry leaves a hand full
· Onions 3 finely chopped
· Tomatoes 1 medium sized, finely chopped
· Red chillies 5 to 6 No
· Red chilli powder 1 tsp
· Salt to taste
· Bay leaf 1 No.
· Coconut ½ cup (grated)
Method to prepare Chettinaud Masala
In making Chettinaud Chicken Curry, the first and most important preparation is the Chettinad masala. For this, take a dry pan and add these ingredients: cloves, cinnamon, pepper, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom, coriander seeds, and Red Chillies. Dry roast all these ingredients. Grind this into a fine powder in a dry mixer jar.
Next, take a cup of grated coconut and make a paste in a mixer jar by adding little water.
Method to prepare the Chicken Curry
· Take a pressure cooker and add oil
· Once oil gets hot, add bay leaf followed by finely chopped onions. Saute the onions nicely in the oil
· Add a little salt to catalyze the process
· Once onions turn golden brown in color and shrink in size, add ginger garlic paste and fry well. keep the flame in low and allow this entire mixture to get cooked for about 5-8 minutes.
· As the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes off, add the tomatoes and cook well.
· Now it is the time to add the cleaned chicken pieces. Add it to the masala and give it a a nice toss.
· Now, add the chetinad masala that is kept prepared and add a little amount of turmeric powder. This is the major step in preparing the chicken curry in chettinad style
· Add required amount of salt and mix gently
· You can see water getting oozed out of the chicken. Now add a glass full of water and mix well and pressure cook it for about 2 whistles in high flame.
· Then turn off the stove and wait until the pressure gets released
· As the pressure gets released, open the cooker. Now you can find the chicken nicely cooked and oil oozed out of the curry.
· Now turn on the stove and add the finely ground coconut paste. Give it a nice toss and allow this mixture to get cooked for about 3 minutes.
· Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot